[mythtv-users] Confusion about Output Cards.

Meatwad meatwad.get.the.honeys at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 23:25:35 UTC 2006

Nick Ellson wrote:

> The DAV-FR1 that I have shows:
>
> 1 x Headphones (RCA phono) - Side,
> 1 x Monitor output (4 pin mini-DIN) - Rear
> 1 x Monitor output (RCA phono x 3) - Rear
> 1 x Component video output (RCA phono x 2) - Rear
> 2 x Audio line-in (TOS Link) - Rear
> 1 x SPDIF input (RCA phono) - Rear
> 1 x Rear center channel output - Rear
>
> So I have the RCA type, and if I understand it right, long well shielded
> RCA cable isn't too hard to find.
>

> As for the Video, I did physically look at the back of my set, and there
> is the HDMI connector: I found
>
> http://www.bestcableforless.com/search_hdmi.asp?txtfrom=GO-hdmi-dvi
>
> HDMI cables up to 115ft (more than I need)
>
> Or this site:
>
> http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/DVI_monitor_cables.html
>
> That makes DVI <-> HDMI cables and adaptors.
>
> http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/DVI-hdmi_adapt.html (the Key Digital
> Swivel looks nice)
>
> So I get a long enough HDMI cable, adapt that to the video card DVI output
> (single DVI I suspect?) And run along side it a RCA coax for audio SPDIF
> to the sound system (saw no real method of making use of the Audio
> transport in HDMI).

Be sure that your display does not demand HDCP be present in the signal
if you plan on using HDMI. Many newer displays won't accept non-HDCP
encoded signals over HDMI. Furthermore, manufacturers are loosely
interpreting the exasperating HDMI/HDCP spec and brand X with brand Y
tend not to play well together, regardless of HDCP.

All of my complex installs still use analog component because there is
*always* an issue trying to use HDMI matrix switchers in a consumer
application. May the suits and legal teams for the MPAA (and their
Hollywood constituents) all rot in Hades.

--
mw