[mythtv-users] Best version for DVB-T

Christian Hack christianh at edmi.com.au
Thu Mar 16 01:50:43 UTC 2006

> [mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of Nick
> On 15/03/06, Dawson, Guy <Guy.Dawson at eu.sony.com> wrote:
> > Nick
> >
> > It looks like you've answered my question.  Thanks.
> >
> > At the risk of asking you to repeat yourself, would you
> mind telling me what your overall system is, and how you got
> there.  As I said I am currently on 0.18.1 under FC3 with a
> PVR250 and want to move to DVB, so any tips and pitfalls
> would be gratefully received.
>
> Guy,
>
> My master backend is using a Nova-T, still running FC2 with a 2.6.10
> kernel (kernel upgrade 'real soon now') so this required patching of
> the DVB code as the first kernel to support the Nova-T and other
> cx88-dvb card was 2.6.12 IIRC. My slave backend is running FC4 with a
> 2.6.14 kernel, and the 2 V-Stream DVB Xpert cards in that just worked
> out of the box.
>
> Apart from the usual device ownership/permissions checking with udev,
> I had no real issues  setting up the DVB cards. I used the channel
> scanning in 0.18.1 to detect available channels and then edited them
> to make their names and channel numbers consistent with my other
> sources (analogue and ntl cable). I also got hold of the dvb-apps and
> Kaffeine so that I can test my DVB settings outside of MythTV

Just to add my 2c.

My 0.18 FC4 frontend worked perfectly with 2 Hauppage Nova T PCI cards.
Before that my previous install (RH8), I used to occasionally get 0 byte
recordings (file was 0 bytes long). With 0.18 rpms and a fresh install with
FC4 I *never* had that problem again. Live TV also worked fine.

Now that I yum upgraded to 0.19 from atrpms (that's all I did, no kernel or
driver changes etc) I occasionally get missing recordings (the file isn't
even there, but the database entry is). This happens approximately 1 in 20
or 30 recordings I'd say (maybe once a week). Also LiveTV works and tunes
etc but the sound seems fine and the video seems to speed up and slow down
to keep in sync. I have no idea why this is. Makes it unwatchable. So I have
to hit R to start a proper recording and then watch it from the Watch
Recordings section where it works fine. I'd like to fix both issues
(particularly the missing recordings problem). Any ideas?

CH