[mythtv-users] Which TV tuner is which?

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 07:47:49 UTC 2006

On 15/03/06, Shanon Mulley <shanonmulleyster at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have two dvb tuner cards in my machine - an Avermedia 771, and a
> Dvico dual tuner, giving me in effect 3 tuners.
>
> When I go into my /dev/dvb directory, I can see the three tuners.
>
> Now, I want to be able to identify them exactly - know which card is
> adapter0, adapter1, adapter2, so I can set them up in mythtv as such.
> I have made some guesses, based on messages I get from dmesg, but
> these seem to be wrong, from testing where I pull the aerial out of a
> tuner card I'm supposedly not using, and have the TV go dead.
>
> So - just what do I look for to identify my adapters exactly?

Sometimes, you can 'guess' this by working from the AGP/PCIe x16 part
to the edge of the board - the lowest adapter# is the one nearest the
video slot. You may also be able to wrok this out using the dmesg log,
the udev log, and lspci - the 2 tuners on the same card will likely
have the same tuner information associated with them (and lspci
output) making it easier to identify the dual tuner.

If they're all DVB cards however, as long as the modules are loaded
and the devices created properly, you don't need to worry which is
which (unless one card is better than the other so you want to give it
priority).

Nick