[mythtv-users] DPI, resolutions, and stretching

Scott Roland scatterlined at mac.com
Thu Mar 16 14:49:15 UTC 2006

On Sun, Feb 19, 2006 at 05:06:27PM -0500, Michael T. Dean wrote:
 > On 02/19/2006 02:25 PM, James Stembridge wrote:
 > > 100 DPI in which direction? As I use a non-wide resolution (720x576)
 > > to a wide display I can't set the DPI to be 100 in both direction
 > > and have video displayed correctly.
 >
> IMHO, vertical offset looks far more incorrect than horizontal offset
> (an arrow on top of the text to which it's pointing looks better
> than an arrow pointing to the wrong text), so I'd go with 100DPI
> vertical. So, for 16:9 using 720x576, I'd use "DisplaySize 259 146"
> (values truncated--in general truncating seems to work better for me
> than rounding--but verify with your X logs that you've convince X to
> use 100DPI vertical).

I believe that I have a similar setup; my X resolution is 720x576 and I
am sending it to a TV that lets me set an anamorphic stretch to 16x9. I
noticed in reading the nVidia driver docs
(http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-8174/README/32bit_html/appendix-d.html)
that it is possible to explicitly set the DPI:
   Option "DPI" "75 x 100"
So if I set it as above and then apply the horizontal stretch it should
effectively be 100x100 DPI right?

This sounds like it will make the menu system look the best, but will
the video then be distorted? If so is there currently a way to fix this?

When using a non-wide resolution (720x576) and applying the stretch are
the wide themes the best?

Thanks, this thread has already been helpful.
--
Scott Roland