[mythtv-users] Confusion about Output Cards.

Meatwad meatwad.get.the.honeys at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 17:04:40 UTC 2006

Jesse Guardiani wrote:
> Steven Adeff wrote:
>
>>as well, don't expect a long run of any video cable to look great. You
>>may want to look into a putting together a remote frontend or see if
>>RokuMyth will work for you.
>>

> Is there actually signal loss over a digital cable? I would have thought
> it would be all or nothing...

Yes. Of most interest to us is the capacitance element inherent in all
multiconductor cable. This element increases as the run gets longer.
Signal is signal be it analog or digital. Analog will decrease in
quality as the cable run gets longer. So will digital but the reciever
will not care that the signal is degraded - to a point. When that
threshold is reached, the digital receiver will not sync up and simply
stop functioning, hence the "all or nothing".