[mythtv-users] Plextor M402U. Supported or not?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 20:18:23 UTC 2006

On 3/16/06, Jim Minihane <min02jsm at minihane.tzo.com> wrote:
> [...]

yes and no... mpeg4 (h263) doesn't handle blacks or solid colors as
well as mpeg2. mpeg4 (h263) does give better compression though, so
you get a lower bitrate for a given level of quality. As well h263
doesn't do higher bitrates as well as mpeg2 from what I understand.
h264 changes this though. h264 is a subset of mpeg4 video and fixes
the black level problems and the solid color problems. It also has
much better compression than mpeg2, it does however require much more
CPU power to get this compression level.

--
Steve