[mythtv-users] PIII 450-frontend: too slow?

Brian Foddy bfoddy at visi.com
Fri Mar 17 02:34:32 UTC 2006

On Sunday 12 March 2006 02:01 pm, kanetse at gmail.com wrote:
> On 3/12/06, Brian Foddy <bfoddy at visi.com> wrote:
> > I know I'm a few days late and haven't read all the threads yet,
> > but I started with a P3-600, purchased a upgrade kit to
> > bring it to a P3-1400.  With XvMC, it can do most HD playback;
> > SD is no problem at all.
>
> You can play HD-content with an P3-1400?  I'm amazed.  From reading
> this list, I thought one needed at least a 2.4 GHz processor.

First, XvMC is a must, no doubt.  Second, don't forget the Intel speed
history.  In many ways, a P3 is faster than a P4 of equal Mhz,
(flame retardant inserted here).
Finally, I have a tougher time playing 720p content than 1080i.
Luckily, I rarely watch ABC/FOX in HD anyway.
But CBS & NBC both play great, even with deinterlacing on and
maybe 10-20% cpu left.  Enough to record other shows on PVR250
or HD capture cards.

What ever the reasons, starting with a p3-600 and some
upgrades, it plays along pretty well.