[mythtv-users] Video Card - New mythtv Build w/o FX5200

Joel Turner jturner421 at aol.com
Sat Mar 18 00:21:06 UTC 2006

I have been experimenting for the past month with a Ubuntu based mythtv
system running on an older Dell with the idea of using the parts I
bought a few months back (PVR-250 and FX5200/AGP) in a new build. I’m
now ready to build the final machine but I’ve run into a dilemma. The
FX5200 is an AGP card and motherboards these days are scarce that
support it with an AMD chip, my preference due to heat issues with the
P4 Prescott.

As the FX5200 appears to be the card of choice for SD TV-OUT which is my
current setup, which Nvidia cards are the current choice for new system
builds? My understanding is that the NV40 line of GPU’s removed some
desirable features that are not supported by the Linux drivers namely
video overlay. I’m not wedded to the FX5200 since it’s significantly
hampering my ability to build a system without compromising on
motherboard features.

Thanks in advance.