[mythtv-users] Video Card - New mythtv Build w/o FX5200

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Mar 18 00:29:54 UTC 2006

On Mar 17, 2006, at 5:21 PM, Joel Turner wrote:

> I have been experimenting for the past month with a Ubuntu based
> mythtv
> system running on an older Dell with the idea of using the parts I
> bought a few months back (PVR-250 and FX5200/AGP) in a new build. I’m
> now ready to build the final machine but I’ve run into a dilemma. The
> FX5200 is an AGP card and motherboards these days are scarce that
> support it with an AMD chip, my preference due to heat issues with the
> P4 Prescott.
>
> As the FX5200 appears to be the card of choice for SD TV-OUT which
> is my
> current setup, which Nvidia cards are the current choice for new
> system
> builds? My understanding is that the NV40 line of GPU’s removed some
> desirable features that are not supported by the Linux drivers namely
> video overlay. I’m not wedded to the FX5200 since it’s significantly
> hampering my ability to build a system without compromising on
> motherboard features.

I'm using a Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 Mobo. It supports AMD socket 939
CPUs, uses the nForce3-250GB chipset and has an AGP socket. I do wish
it had firewire but that's my only complaint.

I'm not using this on my MythTV machine, but it's working well with
an AMD FX-60 CPU.

The only other 939 board I could find used a Via chipset which I
wanted to stay away from due to potential DMA problems.