[mythtv-users] Video Card - New mythtv Build w/o FX5200

Kevin Bailey ke-tivo at retriever.dyndns.org
Fri Mar 17 17:45:27 UTC 2006

On Fri, Mar 17, 2006 at 06:21:06PM -0600, Joel Turner wrote:
> I have been experimenting for the past month with a Ubuntu based mythtv
> system running on an older Dell with the idea of using the parts I
> bought a few months back (PVR-250 and FX5200/AGP) in a new build. I?m
> now ready to build the final machine but I?ve run into a dilemma. The
> FX5200 is an AGP card and motherboards these days are scarce that
> support it with an AMD chip, my preference due to heat issues with the
> P4 Prescott.

Actually, there are several motherboards that would work. (I just
put together a Sempron/6200 (PCIe) system for similar low-heat
reasons.)

Go to newegg dot com, chose from the left-hand menu Computer hardware |
Motherboards. Then navigate down AMD-compatible | Socket 754 (or 939
if you prefer) | Sempron (for low heat). Then click on Advanced search
and chose AGP slots (1) and finally Search. You will be presented with
no less than 57 motherboards.

I've heard that even Turions will work in these boards, but they're
not cheap and you probably want to do a search for which MBs are
most friendly.

Good luck