[mythtv-users] Loss of Service Recognition -- Nifty!

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Mar 18 14:51:02 UTC 2006

On Mar 18, 2006, at 7:21 AM, Sasha Z wrote:

> On 3/18/06, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
>> Everyone *does* have a UPS on their Myth systems, right ?? :-))
>
> Yessir! About a half hour's worth. No little power blips are going to
> screw up _my_ recordings.

Unless your cable box, sat receiver or RF amplifier etc. are *not* on
the UPS. Even a short blip could cause a channel change or power down
and your recording would be "adversely affected".

While it might not directly screw up recordings, it's nice to have
your Cable Modem, DSL box, router, switch etc. all on the UPS as well.

And it's even nicer to have your Myth box "aware" of the UPS status
so it can do a controlled shutdown if it gets close to the end of the
battery capacity. If you're using an APC UPS "apcupsd" does a nice
job of this, and it can even send messages to other devices via the
network, provided the network is running on battery as well.

30-minutes will cover you for most power-company induced problems,
but maybe not when your cleaning service unplugs your AC cord to plug
in their vacuum cleaner (it's happened to me).