[mythtv-users] UNCLE! I give up... No audio from BT878 card.

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Sat Mar 18 14:55:23 UTC 2006

> Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't have the btaudio module
> available, and I don't want to us OSS anyway. I've read somewhere that
> the bt878 driver is an OSS driver but if I try to do a modprobe -r bt878
> it unloads everything including bttv as well. snd_bt87x looks like the
> right module but I haven't gotten it to work even with adding it do
> modprobe.conf with "load_all=1" which someone suggested.

 	Not saying that you don't have a driver problem, but it may be
more fundamental than that.  The bt878 chip itself always has audio (mono
at a potentially high sampling rate).  The card may or may not have extra
audio on it.  Not everyone implements the audio part of the card.  I've
got some that have all the decorations of having audio, stereo, etc.  It
won't go through btaudio though because it's not hardwired on the card.
It requires a loopback cable to a regular soundcard.

> My next step is to save up for a Hauppage card...

 	Do yourself a favor and just do this.  The PVR-150's are pretty
cheap and the bt848/bt878 quality blows goats by comparison.  Even in the
10% of cards that use the chip that are built with quality in mind, the
*chip* itself limits how many lines of analog resolution can be captured
(no comb filter built in).

-Cory