[mythtv-users] OT: TiVo series 3

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Mar 18 21:53:26 UTC 2006

On Mar 18, 2006, at 2:39 PM, Marco Nelissen wrote:

>>> The only reason I'm using mythtv instead of tivo is because I
>>> didn't want
>>> to spend a bunch of money on already-obsolete hardware (HD
>>> DirectTivo)
>>> AND be locked into a 2-year contract with DirecTV.
>>> For all the "amazing" things mythtv does, it still can't hold a
>>> candle
>>> to tivo as far as ease of use goes.
>>
>> "Ease of Use" ?????
>>
>> Just how "easy" is it to make  DVD from a recorded program that will
>> play on your grandmother's DVD player ??
>
> If recording to DVD is what you want, you probably should've gotten a
> tivo with a built-in DVD burner.

Would that have allowed me to edit out the commercials ??

> I never claimed that a tivo does everything that a mythtv box does,
> but I think that for the equivalent functionality, tivo is generally
> better and easier to use.

You're correct of course. I could go on and on about how Myth can do
this and that better than a TiVo, and from my perspective I would be
right.

But I am single and have no WAF to worry about, and my background is
engineering and computers so the Myth interface seems more
comfortable to me than the TiVo does.

For more typical consumers the TiVo interface is probably more
"comfortable". It's like my trying to tell a Windows user that KDE is
a better interface, for the Windows user with their "training" and
experience this is not true, even if it might be true in some "exact"
sense.

Or it's like handing a "better" HP calculator that speaks RPN to
somebody who asks to borrow it, it generally takes between 5 and 10
seconds to hear "Where's the equals key ??"

Better is whatever is more to your liking, not an absolute. If you
find TiVo "better", by all means use it.