[mythtv-users] HDTV Blues - Any ideas?

Jerry Rubinow jerrymr at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 18:25:43 UTC 2006

> > 2 - Pixellation every 10 seconds or so.  It lasts for about 1 - 2 seconds
> > > and it is part of the recording stream so it's not a playback issue as
> > best
> > > as I can tell.  I have verified that running my DCT-6200 direct to the
> > TV
> > > does NOT exhibit the pixellation, so I don't think it's related to weak
> > > signal (I've even plugged in an amplifier to boost the signal strength).
> >
> > This is a firewire kernel driver problem. Some firewire chipsets
> > aren't as bad as others, but its a problem with the kernel and
> > partially Myth,  both of which are being worked on.
>

> Interesting - I've tried my motherboard one (VIA chipset) and the one on my
> Audigy 2.  Is there a recommendation anyone has to what chipset or even a
> specific board to buy?  I'll buy whatever works at this point :)

When I first set up my DCT-6200/firewire-to-Myth connection, I ran
into a problem with similarities to yours.  Sometimes pixellation,
freezes, etc.  It turned out to be a weak/damaged signal due to poor
coax.  The hardware mpeg decoder in the cable box was more fault
tolerant thant the decoding in Myth.  I don't know if your problem is
the same, but you might want to first try a clean good-quality coax
straight from the wall into the cable box (temporarily take out any
splits you may have in it) and see if that makes a difference, before
you buy new hardware.

-Jerry