[mythtv-users] Myth on XBOX 360!

Kichigai Mentat kichigai at comcast.net
Tue Mar 21 03:08:30 UTC 2006

On Mar 20, 2006, at 15.14, Steven Adeff wrote:

> On 3/20/06, Raphael Pooser <rpooser at gmail.com> wrote:
>> kanetse at gmail.com wrote:

>> In no way wanting to start a flame war, but... Yikes, I don't
>> understand
>> why people seem to think Sony is a "less evil" company than
>> Microsoft.
>> They've been feverishly at their efforts for world domination for at
>> least as long as microsoft has.  At least, luckily with Sony, many of
>> their efforts to lock people into BS proprietary format hell have
>> mainly
>> been flops.  Here's hoping the same for blueray.  We have not been so
>> lucky with MS though, as they have managed to lock most of the world
>> into windows and a world of MS proprietaries - hopefully HDDVD and
>> HDCP
>> won't be as successful.

People see Sony as the lesser of two evils because they at least
allow *some* form of homebrew. And for them, the logical form is to
give us Linux. True, they can't charge us for dev-kits, but from
Sony's point of view, it's going to be pretty freaking hard to get
pirated versions of PS3 games to run in the Linux environment. And by
giving us a sanctioned environment, the legal homebrew community
isn't going to be digging around for exploits in their security
systems (which can be exploited for illegal uses), which is kind of
what happened with the XBox.

>>> Sony might have been more willing to play with Linux in past, but
>>> from
>>> this mailing-list I see more XBoxes running MythTV than PS2s.

I'd love to try MythTV on the PS2... if I could find a Linux kit for
my PS2.