[mythtv-users] Way OT, but a quick question about mencoder

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Mar 21 03:40:10 UTC 2006

On Mar 20, 2006, at 7:55 PM, Kichigai Mentat wrote:

> That's different from a multi-threaded LAVC operation. That's two
> SEPARATE sets of threads. You probably need to invoke some kind of
> command to assign specific tasks to individual CPUs.

I realize that's a different matter, but I would have expected the
kernel scheduler or whatever to be smart enough to allocate the jobs
in a better way.
This is why I need to "study". Until recently "multi processing"
meant firing up my laptop to perform an additional task :-)

> As far as using LAVC for a multi-threaded operation, I KNOW you have
> to invoke a specific option that Konverter probably isn't invoking.
>  From the MPlayer MAN page:
>
> 	threads=<1-8>
> 		Maximum number of threads to use (default: 1).  May have  a
> slight  negative effect on motion 			estimation.

Ah, that's what I was looking for, I should just be writing my own
scripts anyway. Unfortunately I'm looking for the best possible
quality so I am reluctant to experience a "slight negative effect".