[mythtv-users] Upgrade issues 0.18.1 -> 0.19 [SOLVED]

Beny Spensieri Jr benyjr at yahoo.ca
Tue Mar 21 15:11:43 UTC 2006

Hi everyone, just wanted to give back a little of the
knowledge that I learned through my recent upgrade.

The Background:

This system was a pure x86_64 FC4 install of MythTV
0.18.1 following Jarrod's instructions.  My TV card is
a PVR-350.

Due to some 64bit problems with MythTV, MythDVD,
MythMusic, and MythGallery kept segfaulting, so I had
to remove them.  The resulting install was great for
watching TV and recording shows, but not much else.

As the install aged, however, I kept experiencing hard
system freezes during playback of recorded shows.  The
freezes were becoming more and more frequent, so I
decided to upgrade to 0.19.

The Problem:

After downloading and installing the needed packages
by hand I got the following problems:

1) Shows recorded previous to the upgrade had no
sound, even though "Sound through PVR-350 only" was
checked.
2) Live TV only showed a silent black screen which
timed out to the main menu in about 45 seconds.
3) All new recordings since the upgrade wereof zero
length and black like LiveTV, and without sound.
4) Remote was not responding.

The Cause:

Near as I can figure it, I tried to upgrade and
existing x86_64 install of MythTV 0.18.1 to 0.19 using
i386 binaries.  This was intended to fix the 64bit
problem  mentioned above.  Some of the i386 packages
did not replace the existing x84_64 packages,
resulting in co-installs of the same package for two
different architectures.  This likely caused Myth to
launch two nearly identical executables for certain
processes.

The Resolution:

A quick email response from Axel Thimm revealed that
the 64 bit issue had been resolved in the x86_64
packages.

So I downloaded the required x86_64 packages from
ATRPMS and installed them.  Then I removed the
redundant i386 versions.

All of this was done by hand with rpm, not with YUM
since I'm on dial-up, YUM would have monopolized the
phone line for hours.  As well, I DID NOT use the
--force or --nodeps options as this will truly give
you unneeded headaches which would be nearly
impossible to troubleshoot in the future.

To make matters just that much more difficult, my Myth
box uses a wireless mouse and keyboard which become
USELESS when the modem dials up for some reason.  So
all binaries were downloaded from a second computer as
dependency issues surfaced.

The Moral:

Don't switch binaries mid-stream.  Clearly the
unintended co-installs of binaries was to blame as I
did not touch any configuration files.  Overall the
install was well worth the effort, but unless I run
into some real showstoppers or if MythTV 0.20 adds in
some REALLY KILLER features, this setup will live and
die at 0.19.

I really hope that this little tale helps some of you
out there.  I have learned so much from this mailing
list I just wanted to give a little back.

Beny