[mythtv-users] Displaying 1080i on 4:3 standard TV

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 23:07:35 UTC 2006

On 3/21/06, Mike Schlottman <mschlott at spe.org> wrote:

> > X11 is the standard unaccelerated video output. -vo tells mplayer to
> > use it instead of Xv for example.
> >
> > Try using the 7676 drivers.
> >
> > is your 4:3 tv an SDTV or an HDTV?
> >
> > have you looked at the output on a monitor?
> >
> I have not looked at it on a monitor yet.  I got bogged down in playing
> with X settings last night.  That is also on the todo for tonight.
>
> My TV is SDTV.   It is an older Panasonic with S-video and Composite
> inputs.  I don't have any way of connecting the composite inputs though.
>
>      Mike

Ok, was getting confused. You'll want to setup for S-Video output for
480i. to your TV. Your modeline should be something around 720x480.
YOU WILL GET OVERSCAN. Its inherint in how TV's work. You can play
around with the modeline to try and eliminate it. Theres plenty of
posts in the list you can search through on this, and probably some
articles in the Wiki that will help. You can also tell Myth to
compensate for the overscan to "shrink" the output area of the videos
and gui.

as for playing back HD content, it should work, it will be scaled to
720x480 (or whatever your final modeline resolution is). It should
include black bars on top and bottom if everything is setup correctly
as well. It should look much better than the non-hd station but will
obviously not be as good as a true HDTV.

You'll also still need the increased processing power to playback the streams.

--
Steve