[mythtv-users] lircd not starting on boot

Shane Hollaway shane.hollaway at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 12:52:01 UTC 2006

Hi,

I have a problem where lircd is not automattically starting when I
boot my FC4 MythTV box.  However it starts happily if I manually start
it and my ir blaster springs into life.  After booting the status of
lircd is:

[root at htpc ~]# service lircd status
lircd dead but subsys locked

I've had a look through the /var/log/messages file and found the
following lircd messages get generated on bootup:

lircd-0.8.0[2809]: could not get file information for /dev/lirc
lircd-0.8.0[2809]: default_init(): No such file or directory
lircd-0.8.0[2809]: caught signal

So based on this I thought the problem was that /dev/lirc did not
exist.  I checked straight after booting and it seems to be there:

[root at htpc dev]# ls -l lirc*
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root   root     5 Mar 22 22:30 lirc -> lirc0
crw-rw----  1 mythtv root 61, 0 Mar 22 22:30 lirc0
srw-rw-rw-  1 root   root     0 Mar 22 22:30 lircd

I'm starting to think that maybe lirc is trying to start before
/dev/lirc is initialised?  (Got no idea how any of that works)

I had this working on the weekend and the only thing that I've changed
is that I've downgraded the nvidia drivers to version 7676 to try to
smooth out the video playback.  Maybe this has effected the order that
things are loaded at boot time?

Anyway, I'm at a loss.  If anyone has any ideas on how to fix this it
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Shane.