[mythtv-users] Will any PVR-150 Work?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Mar 22 21:03:21 UTC 2006

On Mar 22, 2006, at 1:33 PM, Michael Segulja wrote:

> Mark Covington wrote:
>> The only difference between the cards is that the MCE version comes
>> with a remote.  Hauppauge is the only company that makes the
>> PVR150, so
>> there's only one card.
>>
>> Several people here have one up and running, you'll be fine.
>>
>> markcov
>>

> Ok, thank you very much for the info.  That's exactly what I needed
> to know.

Not quite -

The "retail" PVR-150 comes with a Hauppauge remote. Unless you get
really old stock this will be the "new" remote with the four colored
buttons in a row across the bottom. This card does not have a radio
tuner. Newer units also come with an IR blaster on the same connector
as the IR receiver. I've seen reports of MythTV support for these
using patched LIRC and IVTV versions, but I don't know for sure.

A "PVR-150MCE OEM" that you can get from the OEM suppliers for around
$60US does not come with any remote, and does not have the interface
for one on the card. Mine, at least, also has a radio tuner, don't
know if all versions do or not.

A "PVR-150MCE Retail" comes with a remote that does not connect to
the PVR card, but apparently works in some way with Windows MCE, I
don't know much about this as I don't do windows. Don't know if this
card has a radio tuner.

Hauppauge seems to change tuner types almost as often as Security
holes are found in Windows, so there is no guaranty as to what tuner
module you will get. It's possible you will get a new module that is
not yet supported, usually these are supported shortly. You may also
have to manually specify the tuner type with some cards.

The above is what I have learned from my 4 PVR-150s of various
flavors, YMMV as always.