[mythtv-users] Streamzap Remote Configuration, almost there!

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Mar 23 00:00:54 UTC 2006

On Mar 22, 2006, at 4:41 PM, John Pierce wrote:

>> Make sure your lircrc file has not been processed in any way by a
>> Windows box, it might have been mis-formatted.
> Under penalty of death windows is not allowed in this domain, both
> network and physical domains!

Ah, a kindred spirit !

> I have an update, I recompiled lirc one more time.  This time I used
> the --with-x option and I have partially functioning system, partial
> because the only way the remote will control the mythfrontend is if
> mythfrontend is being run as root.  I am not sure where to go from
> here, but I think that it is a permissions problem with lircd.  Any
> thoughts?

Well then you're just about there, clearly it is a permission
problem. I don't know specifically where but if you look at
everything involved I'm sure you can figure it out.

"ps aux" will show you as what user various processes are running as,
just pipe the output through grep to shorten the list.

Running the frontend as SUID root is common in order to be able to
have realtime priority, not such a bad thing really, but you should
be able to run it as the mythtv user.

Let me know when you figure it out, I'm curious.