[mythtv-users] rebuffering after livetv channel change

Jesse Guardiani jesse at wingnet.net
Thu Mar 23 00:43:24 UTC 2006

Hello,

This isn't the same as the prebuffering pause issue with XvMC/HD.
I'm just running SD TV and no XvMC.

I just switched from using the Svid input of my PVR 350 card from
a Dish feed to using the RF tuner input with a Charter Cable feed.

It's crazy how fast the tuner changes channels compared to the
Dish connection + IR Blaster channel change script. It's a full
second or two faster. However, that speed seems to have come
with a penalty. When I change channels on the tuner input in LiveTV,
I instantly start getting rebuffering errors in my frontend's stdout/
stderr output and the video playback gets choppy. (it's a combined
front/backend box, so network isn't an issue.) If I pause the playback
for about 3 seconds then play again, the rebuffering errors go away.

I assume this is because LiveTV is somehow butting up against the
MPEG video output speed of the PVR350. Pausing gives it enough buffer
to work with.

Is there any way to force a 3 second playback pause after a channel
change on a tuner input?

I'm running 0.19 SVN (fixes) revision 9263 and ivtv SVN revision 3060.

--
Jesse Guardiani
Programmer/Sys Admin
jesse at wingnet.net