[mythtv-users] Long films and news breaks

Alexander Fisher alexjfisher at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 17:44:34 UTC 2006

On 3/23/06, Warren <warren-lists at icruise.com> wrote:
>  Ant Daniel wrote:
>  On 23/03/06, Alexander Fisher <alexjfisher at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>  The biggest problem is spotting
> that there was a news break in the first place!
>
> Alex
>

> Agree, with that one, the amount of times I've missed the second half
> of a movie.
>
> I wonder if we could patch the scheduler to work around it.
>
> In the schedule it would come up as:
> 'Movie Title'
> 'New or some such'
> 'Movie Title'
>
> Usually the second part of the movie doesn't get recorded as the
> schedular marks it as a repeat of the first half. As the tv_grab_uk_rt
> usually marks it as a film, and how many times does a channel show the
> same movie within 1hr of the first one finishing (This is ignoring the
> fact that one or both parts are not really movie 'length' [or usually
> even the same length]).
>
> So could the scheduler be changed to say, oh that's the same movie on
> the same channel within a certain time period of each other (and some
> times of different lengths) so I'll put them into one recording.
>
> Ant.
>  We have channels on cable here in the US that do exactly that.  Show a
> movie then show it again, either immediately afterward or within an hour of
> it ending, so that it ends up being shown during prime-time on both the east
> and west coast, which are 3 hours apart.

I've seen it happen in the UK too.  Not sure of their reasoning, but
ITV2 showed 'Beverly Hills Cop' twice in the same evening a few weeks
ago.  I think they only had an hour between showings.

Looking through the next couple of weeks schedule, it looks as if ITV
will make a habbit of doing this.  Jaws 3 is to be shown twice on ITV3
with only an hour inbetween showings.

Some random thoughts ...
Could we use IMDB to look up the run times of all scheduled movies?
Is the offending mid-movie show always news?  Why would it be anything else!?
Two halves of a split showing are often similar lengths.
A repeat showing isn't always exactly the the same length as the first
showing (Jaws 3 is 1hr55 the first time round but only 1hr50 later on)

Alex