[mythtv-users] Can myth TV do what I want?

James Oltman cnlibmyth at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 17:48:11 UTC 2006

> I want a system that can do the following:
> >
> > Sit in the lounge - but importantly it will have no CD or DVD drive.
> > Map a network drive containing MP3's
> > Map a network drive containing ripped DVD (not actually ripped any yet)

This is something Myth can do for you.

Yes, very easily, you can just mount the drives using cifs and then point
> MythVideo and MythMusic at thos mounted directories. A little tweaking and
> away you go.
>
> Allow me to browse and playback MP3's and DVD's in a sensible way with
> > folder based browsing and "cover art".

This part isn't as easy.  I am mainly talking about the music.  I am not a
big fan of MythMusic.  It's hard to navigate and not very intuitive.
Creating playlists is difficult.  I would much prefer MythMusic and MythWeb
to be integrated better.  I understand there is work in progress to
accomplish this.  I would really like to see an iTunes like interface.  I
think it would be great.  I am using MythVideo to playback DVDs that I have
ripped onto my Windoze box and it works GREAT.  I have had problems lately
with NFS borking on me.  It just stalls and I have to stop and re-start the
service.  But it works well!  I love Myth.  It's a great project and I can't
wait to see all the improvements in the future.

Jim