[mythtv-users] Can myth TV do what I want?

Jesse Guardiani jesse at wingnet.net
Thu Mar 23 20:06:57 UTC 2006

Gabe Rubin wrote:
> On 3/23/06, Jesse Guardiani <jesse at wingnet.net> wrote:
>
>> I've found that gnump3d and/or mp3act make excellent web based music
>> streaming systems.
>> For me at least (running gentoo), gnump3d is a LOT easier to set up, and
>> it supports downsampling.
>> mp3act is significantly harder to set up (requires some PHP hacking
>> skills), and does NOT support
>> downsampling, but the interface is much nicer and even supports
>> automatically grabbing album art
>> from Amazon.com.
>>

> I have been having frustrations to get mp3act working in jukebox mode
> (i.e., I can control it remotely and have the server play the music
> rather than strem it to the remote machine).

The one time I tried that with mp3act, I couldn't get it working either.
Didn't feel like hacking it
because I don't have any use for the feature really.

>   Can gnump3d do this, or
> will it only stream the music to the local machine?

Pretty sure it's just for streaming.

>   I want to use the
> digital output of my mythbox to play music through my receiver, but
> with close to a 100 gigs of music, the mythmusic interface is
> unwieldy, and I just can't figure out how to properly get mp3act to
> play.

Well, if it's a combined front/back end, then you can just use
mythmusic. That's what I do,
and if that's the only way to do it then you prevent someone from the
web starting up Rage
Against the Machine while you're trying to watch Naruto. :)

--
Jesse Guardiani
Programmer/Sys Admin
jesse at wingnet.net