[mythtv-users] knoppmyth or mythdora

Maverick mavantix at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 08:49:29 UTC 2006

> The idea behind KnoppMyth is to simply get a Linux powered, MythTV based
> set-top box running in a quick and easy manner.  Some people have stated
> that KnoppMyth is made for the newbie.  Well, it isn't.  Why spend hours
> compiling packages, etc.,  when all you want is to enjoy TV and
> multimedia (simply my view, compile away to your hearts content)?

I'd have to say Knoppmyth is great. I ran it back in the R4V5 -
R5V-young day, and it was good then. It has only continued to get
better, and has kept up with all the changes in ivtv, mytv, etc at a
rapid rate. I have to give Cecil alot of credit there, he's put alot
of work in producing a quicker way to get a mythbox up a running. I
think what alot of myth gurus forget is, some mythtv users don't
know/care about linux, they just want a Tivo but cooler. You get that
with Knoppmyth more easily than by learning to install Linux and
compile Myth manually.

Unfortunately, I later switched to FC4 built using Jarods guide
because I was having issues with the old kernel one of the R5 versions
I was using had. I see now that the latest versions of Knoppmyth
include newer kernels, and I really want to go back. My FC4 install is
working fine, but it's a lot easier to upgrade *everything* on
Knoppmyth than it is on FC4... not to mention, dealing with RPM's in a
P.I.M.A. However, I've been working on *nix boxes for 10+ years, so
they don't scare me too much anymore...

One thing Knoppmyth lacks is an over the internet 'dist upgrade'
feature so you can do an inplace update of everything without
destroying what is already there... upgrading from CD is a bit kludgy,
but seriously, install Knoppmyth, spend a couple days getting things
refined and setup the way you want, open a beer and enjoy your
Mythbox. If anyone calls you a newb, laugh in their face and show them
how much their tivo sucks.

-Kenneth