[mythtv-users] PVR-350 output support being dropped!

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Mar 24 11:06:33 UTC 2006

On Mar 23, 2006, at 10:19 PM, Kichigai Mentat wrote:

> On Mar 23, 2006, at 03.58, Ian Forde wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 2006-03-23 at 01:50 -0600, Kichigai Mentat wrote:
>>
>>> Oh piffle! I was considering condensing my MythTV system, and
>>> using a
>>> PVR-350 as output, since my back-end doesn't have any AGP slots, a
>>> single PCI slot I can free up, and I wanted to include at least one
>>> more tuner. I guess I'll need to stick to my separated solution for
>>> now.
>>
>> If you've got an onboard VGA out, just use a transcoder box such
>> as an
>> Audio Authority...
>
> Yeah, but does that do hardware MPEG-2 decompression? That's one big
> reason for going with the PVR-350 or an nVidia card, otherwise I
> would have done exactly what you mentioned (not that I've never
> thought about getting such a converter before)

The Unichrome integrated video offers at least some form of mpeg-2
decoding assistance, not sure how much or how well it works.

Eventually I'd like to see hardware mpeg-4 decoding, as I believe the
world will move towards that more space-saving family of compression
algorithms. I've read that the satellite carriers are going to move
towards mpeg-4, which makes sense as fast CPUs for set-top boxes get
cheaper.

Is anyone aware of a device similar to a MediaMVP that can de-
compress mpeg-4 ? Right now that's one thing keeping my system on an
mpeg-2 standard.