[mythtv-users] Plextor external USB capture device

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Mar 26 05:36:12 UTC 2006

On Mar 25, 2006, at 6:57 PM, Nathan England wrote:

> Anyone used a plextor USB capture box? I found the M402U refurb for 65
> bucks... Are they any good?

MythTV has support for them, but only for MPEG-4 compression, which
is not all bad. They show up in the mythsetup menu as a capture card
type.

There are some issues getting the drivers compiled on FC4 based
systems, some sort of problem with the ALSA modules, don't know if
they have been worked out yet.

But I had a couple of them working on a Gentoo box and a Debian-based
machine, they work quite well.

I was using the "TV" version with the tuner but the non-tuner version
should work the same.

One issue with the "TV" version is that, as they are grounded through
the TV coax and the USB connector they are a bit prone to ground
loops putting AC hum in the video, but good grounding should make
that problem minimal.