[mythtv-users] Am I able to stop auto-recording?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Mar 26 18:09:44 UTC 2006

On 03/26/2006 11:38 AM, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
>  On Mar 26, 2006, at 11:25 AM, Marco Nelissen wrote:
>
> > In fact, I'd say that you'll get more users by *always* recording,
> > even if nobody is watching. This is what Tivo does, and adds the
> > advantage of being able to go to live TV and then immediately back
> > up 30 minutes (the default size of Tivo's buffer) and play from
> > there. It also allows you to go back to the menu and do things
> > there (like schedule some recordings or check out the weather),
> > then go back to live TV and pick up where you left off. Now, be
> > honest: wouldn't you like to be able to do that?
>
>  It would be kinda cool to give this option. I would turn it off (and
>  it should be off by default) since I don't want my hard drives to
>  spin all day every day for stuff I'm not watching, but it would be
>  neat. I guess it would act just like if you left LiveTV on all the
>  time.

Even better, create a recording rule (for the channel of your
choosing--i.e. the Weather Channel) at very low priority to record
everything on that channel (see
http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-12.html#ss12.5 ).  Set the group
of those recordings to LiveTV.  Then, they are autoexpired just like
LiveTV.  This will save up to a day of the recordings, but if you're
short on space, will only save the current program (as LiveTV is
autoexpired at the highest priority).

This approach is better than TiVo's because you get the channel you
want--not the channel you last watched.  And, you get up to 24 hours of
that channel.

However, I don't see the benefit of recording everything.  My recording
rules already record everything I might possibly want to watch...

OK, so now all the people (who haven't a clue about how autoexpiring
works) will write in to say that you should also be able to tell it to
autoexpire immediately (even though it doesn't make any difference at all).

Mike