[mythtv-users] WinTV PVR350 PAL TV-OUT FC5

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sun Mar 26 19:12:58 UTC 2006

Mark Emery writes:

> Hi,
>
> Anyone got a PVR-350 working with TV-Out in PAL?  Yes I've seen the
> notes about PVR-350 TV-Out support being dropped soon.  I'd had problems
> with my two video cards & TV-Out since FC3 so thought I'd go for a
> PVR-350. What a bad move!

Err -- what notes are you referring to?

I'm in the middle of putting together a PVR-350-based system myself.  Now,
as far as I can tell, there are actually two ways of using the 350's TV-Out
signal.

One, is MythTV using the TV-Out channel itself directly for playback only.
The GUI interface, and everything else, still runs on your main monitor
screen.

The other one is using the ivtv X.org driver to start the entire X desktop
on the TV-Out, instead of your native video card and monitor.  Everything,
the GUI, and everything else, runs off the TV.  No special effort is needed
on behalf of MythTV -- as far as it's concerned it's running normally off an
ordinary X desktop.

The whole thing confused me initially, also.  Until I figured out that the
different FAQs and HOWTOs were talking about two different things.

Even if MythTV's PVR-350 playback is getting dropped, you should still have
the second option, which, from my experience, is the better one; you get
something that resembles a standalone PVR function.  The only problem with
the ivtv driver is that one some TVs your desktop edges get cut off because
of overscan.