[mythtv-users] lirc question: native or irxevent?

Nick Rout nick at rout.co.nz
Sun Mar 26 22:01:07 UTC 2006

I am just playing around with lirc in an effort to get rid of the "I am
bloody sick of that keyboard lying on the floor in front of the TV"
messages that wife-1.0 keeps spitting into /var/log/messages.

My remote is working, irw pumps out the correct info etc.

Docs I have read refer to the ability to run lirc in either native myth
mode or using irxevent, eg:

<quote>Once you know that your remote is working, you can either
recompile MythTV with native lirc support by enabling it in configure or
you need to run the irxevent program, which takes the key presses and
sends them to MythTV. If you use native lirc support, you don't need to
run irxevent. If you are going to use irxevent, then you need to run it
like this:

    $ irxevent &

If irxevent isn't running, then MythTV will not respond to your remote control unless you're using native lirc support. </quote>

(http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-8.html)

However there seems little guidance on whether native or irxevent is
preferable, and why :(

So can someone enlighten me on this please? Naturally I also want to
control stuff like xine and mplayer with the remote while playing dvds
or xvid/divx movies. I am not sure if using native mode interferes with
using the remote for external apps.

Cheers.

--
Nick Rout <nick at rout.co.nz>