[mythtv-users] comcast digital box and mythTV

Mike S. user245 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 16:39:30 UTC 2006

Hello all,

Here in Chicago, Comcast requires a box for basic cable. Its a small
motorola device which decodes the encrypted channels and provides a
channel guide. Without the box you only get the broadcast channels.  I'm
at work so I cant give the model number, but from what I remember there
is only coax-in and coax-out/RCA out.  Does Myth support this device? I
looked at some of the IR stuff and didnt see any comcast/motorola info.
  I'm not even sure where I can get the IR hardware for this. Can I just
buy some IR blaster? How well do these things work?

Also, what is the current bang-for-the-buck capture card?  I dont need
hdtv or anything.  I can video output from the old geforce3 card in the
box, so that's probably not needed, unless its easier to use the same
device for in and out.

Much appreciated,

Mike