[mythtv-users] Playback stoppy and go-y. Ie super-duper-uber-jittery.

Greg Stark gsstark at mit.edu
Mon Mar 27 21:11:53 UTC 2006

Kevin Kuphal <kuphal at dls.net> writes:

> It's probably a lack of DRI or accellerated playback of any kind that
> matters.  For what it's worth, ATI is probably the worst brand to pick
> in general for Myth because of their driver situation.

Actually at this point the ATI cards seem to be the best supported cards.
Matrox was well supported too but they're not really cost effective. Nvidia
cards are basically binary driver only.

> Is there a reason you're using 2.6.16 instead of a supported kernel revision
> for the driver package?

Why would I want to use an old kernel with known bugs and missing features
added in later kernels? In fact part of the reason I upgraded was because I
was hoping the later ivtv drivers would have fixed the problems I had with
mythtv crashing when I tried it on a 2.6.12 kernel.

I would much rather face a problem and be told it's a new problem that needs
to be fixed than spend all my time trying to work through problems with old
versions of software only to find they're *already* been fixed. That's just
pointless.

--
greg