[mythtv-users] Playback stoppyand go-y. Ie super-duper-uber-jittery.

James C. Dastrup jc at dastrup.com
Mon Mar 27 22:35:57 UTC 2006

>>> Have you tried the ATI binary fglrx drivers?
>>>

>> Yeah, like most proprietary kernel modules they didn't work because they
>> weren't up to date with the latest kernels. I had to edit Kconfig to even get
>> them to build since they were using an obsolete interface that was removed by
>> default in 2.6.16.
>>
>It's probably a lack of DRI or accellerated playback of any kind that
>matters.  For what it's worth, ATI is probably the worst brand to pick
>in general for Myth because of their driver situation.

All the comments about 'how terrible ATI is' get pretty old after a while. The fact
is ATI and nVidia can both provide a quality picture in MythTV equally well. The
problem the original poster is having is not with his choice of video card, but his
choice of kernel; if you want the latest kernel, you have to wait for other
components to catch up. That's the way it is with all OS's, except Linux OS updates
are much more frequent than some others.