[mythtv-users] HDTV Resolution and Overscan

Ed O'Brien ed3120 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 28 16:13:36 UTC 2006

I’m currently sending a 1080i signal to my new HDTV
via VGA -> AA 9A60 -> Component.  It looks pretty
good, except for the overscan issue.  My tv overscans
about 5%, so I just accept the overscan for my
desktop.  Via the myth appearance settings, I adjust
my mythfrontend so that it fits the screen perfectly.
My X and Y sizes to make the frontend fit perfectly
are about 1860 x 1020 or something like that.  The
menus and video playback look pretty good this way,
however it doesn’t fix the desktop issue.  If I go
back to my desktop and open an xterm, the text is
difficult to read because the pixels are being
transposed. (like when you run an LCD monitor at a
resolution other than native.)

My question is should is this what everyone else is
doing? Would I better better off modifying my modeline
to send the tv an 1840 x 1020 (or similar) modeline,
so that the tv could possibly get closer to 1:1 pixel
mapping?  (I don’t even know if doing something like
that would fall outside the guidelines of standard
hdtv and confuse my tv.)

I’ve also noticed some slight convergence issues where
I can see that white text has a little bit of green on
one side and a little red on the other.  Normally, I
would think this is the tv’s fault, but my Cable box
-> HDMI connection doesn’t do it, and neither does my
DVD -> component connection.  I wonder if the
transposing of the pixel is the cause of this.

So is it better to send the full 1920x1080 and let the
tv overscan it, or is it better to send the tv the
exact resolution that it needs to perfectly fill the screen?