[mythtv-users] lirc question: native or irxevent?

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Wed Mar 29 15:11:58 UTC 2006

Nick wrote:
> On 27/03/06, R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org> wrote:
>> Nick wrote:
>
>>> You can also run irxevent at the same time (I think native support
>>> takes precedence as I don't seem to have any problems doing this) have
>>> a remote with a stealth QWERTY keyboard inside it so I can use it as a
>>> mini-keyboard if I need to.
>>>
>> What sort of remote is that?  Sounds interesting....
>
> One of these (a Sky Navigator):
>
> http://www.beststuff.co.uk/sky_navigator.htm
>
> Feels solid and very useful (although not a total replacement for a
> keyboard) but lets you use the shell nonetheless.

Neat looking unit and quite reasonably priced. Any idea who actually
makes it?

Some questions..

I presume this is IR based. Do you know what standard? Do you just do
the usual  mode2/irw/irrecord/licrd/lircrc setup to map the keys?

At the moment, I have 6 different remotes which are required to deal
with everything in the recreation room.... I really really really need a
remote which can do all of this stuff!

For whatever reasons I cannot get the (cheap) universal remote to map
the 'Schedule Recordings' functions of my 2 VCR's. So I need to keep
those around.

The Soundgraph iMon remote works well with the mythbox, but there are
still some glitches to iron out before I junk the VCR's... and I still
have to figure out how to transfer control of the stereo receiver which
is the audio amp for the mythbox to any remote besides its own... and
then there is the Sony CD player which does not get used much, but is
useful.

Sound familiar to anyone?

Maybe we need a separate thread+section in the how-to about dealing with
remotes as such!

Geoff