[mythtv-users] PCChips Geode MoBo?

Calvin Harrigan charriglists at bellsouth.net
Wed Mar 29 16:22:59 UTC 2006

Osma Ahvenlampi wrote:

>On ke, 2006-03-29 at 13:01 +0200, Francesco Peeters wrote:
>

>>Does anybody have any experience with the 'new' PCChips M863G
>>Geode3600+ (Athlon2800+ 'mobile') (v7.1) MoBo?
>>

>The SiS 741GX on-board graphics on this (unless I'm mistaken about the
>model) aren't necessarily that great for multimedia purposes. The analog
>image quality is usually criticised in reviews, 3D performance is
>abysmal (not that MythTV really uses that for anything - although you
>might want to have some simple OpenGL effects in the photo album), and
>the video acceleration support is poor compared to NForce2.
>
>http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/chipsets/display/int-chipsets-roundup_12.html
>
>In fact, since NForce2 has been discontinued in favor of Athlon64
>chipsets, the options for that CPU don't look that good any more.
>However, I would not recommend anything else for an Athlon XP platform.
>Mine, an ASUS A7N8X-VM is unfortunately exhibiting instability problems,
>but as long as it did work, it was a very good experience. Been looking
>for a replacement for a while, but few are available at this point.
>
>For Athlon 64, the best options seems to be RADEON Xpress 200 based MBs,
>and for Intel, either that or one based on the Intel 945/950 chipset.
>That is, if you are interested in using the integrated graphics. If not,
>disregard the entire message.

Just informational really.  If you need to replace that Asus, Biostar
has a similar motherboard.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813138234

I've been looking for a Socket A board to stuff into an antec aria.  I
already have a system built into a overture, but it can't fit in my new
entertainment system.  Too long.

Calvin...