[mythtv-users] Speeding up Mythweb .19 on Fedora Core 3

Brad Benson bbenso1 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 22:19:37 UTC 2006

When I was attempting to do the exact same thing (speed up mythweb load
times) I found a post from someone claiming that the .js files are
downloaded by the browser every time you load a page from mythweb.  The
poster claimed that caching those .js files reduced page load times by
massive amounts (i.e. 40 second page load down to 12 seconds).  I made the
change necessary to cache those files on my system and it definitely made a
huge difference.

In your apache config, find the section that pertains to your mythweb
directory and add these lines:

# set up caching behavior
    ExpiresActive On
    ExpiresByType application/x-javascript "modification plus 1 year"

This tells apache to send a cache-control header with any javascript
documents specifying that the browser can cache the file for up to 1 year
after the date/time that the file was last modified on the server.  I
figured 1 year should be plenty long, but you may want to adjust this to a
slightly shorter timeframe.

You also may want to move the contents of your .htaccess file directly into
the apache config file and change the AllowOverride directive to None as
that can save a little bit of server overhead on page loads as well.

HTH,
Brad Benson