[mythtv-users] Time Warner Cable

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Mar 30 16:25:56 UTC 2006

On Mar 30, 2006, at 9:09 AM, Kichigai Mentat wrote:

> It's pretty reliable, unless you plan on bombarding your cable box
> with additional infrared light. In all fairness, it's not the
> blaster that handles the protocol, it's the software. All that
> blaster is is basically an IR light bulb, and all your computer
> needs to do is turn it on and off. MythTV relies on LIRC, and so
> far, I've never heard anyone complain about it. TiVo ­ MythTV.

That's true of the LIRC-based IR-blaster solutions. The MyBlaster and
similar units have more of the "smarts" in the IR transmitter itself,
like the protocol, device codes etc. This results in a simpler
interface on the computer end, but a more complex (and thus more
expensive) IR hardware unit.

Like anything else there are pros and cons to each method, and each
has its ardent adherents.