[mythtv-users] living room myth pvr

Steven C. Liu sliu at steven-c-liu.com
Fri Mar 31 04:52:35 UTC 2006

Timothy Waters wrote:

> What hardware would you all recommend for a small & quiet MythTV box
> to hook up to my TV in the living room? Case, chip, memory, tuner and
> output card...I just got a decent job and I'm finally going to have
> the means to build one and I want it to totally replace my vcr and dvd
> player and I don't have a lot of space.
>
> --
> Timothy Waters
> timothy.waters at gmail.com <mailto:timothy.waters at gmail.com>
> http://www.e-Waters.org
> 205-587-9001

Hi Timothy,

I'm new to Myth too.  Just set one up completely, and with invaluable
help from the kind folks on this list.

I'm also contemplating expanding my MythTV setup across the house, and
here are my preliminary (untested) thoughts that I'd share with the
folks here for commentary:

* old PIII-based system, 512MB RAM, large USB Lacie HDD
* a Hauppauge WinTV PVR-350 w/ TV-Out (to a regular TV via S-video)
or
* a Hauppauge WinTV PVR-250 (no TV-Out) to a 21" monitor + a decent
graphics card

Steve