[mythtv-users] Viewing recorded programs page in mythweb is slow

Andrew Kuan askuan at gmail.com
Mon May 1 12:01:51 UTC 2006

So I did a bit of experimenting as well. I altered two files in my copy of
mythweb from the end of the 0.19-fixes branch:

   - I commented out line 207 in modules/tv/recorded.php so that
   "generate_preview_pixmap" wouldn't get called.
   - I hacked up themes/default/tv/recorded.php so that it looks directly
   in my /var/video directory for thumbnails rather than checking its own
   cache. I then had to make sure that Apache could follow a symlink off to
   where those thumbnails (and all of my recordings) are stored.

After I made these two changes, the Recorded Programs page was suddenly
shows that are currently being recorded.

While this solves it well enough for me, I do still have a few misgivings:

   1. No thumbnail will be available for shows currently being recorded.
   2. I don't like having my /var/video directory exposed to the rest of
   the world -- which is probably why the cache was set up in the first place.
   3. The next time I update mythweb, I'm going to have to rehack my
   files to keep things chugging along.

It looks like the real solution would be to fix the generate_preview_pixmap
function in the first place. It's in includes/mythbackend.php at line 226.
I'm going to poke at it for a bit right now before I head off to work.
Thanks for the feedback, Niels -- it's sort of reassuring to know that
someone else is putting up with this behavior too.