[mythtv-users] zap2it and qam

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon May 1 16:08:28 UTC 2006

Joe Votour wrote:
> --- "R. G. Newbury" <newbury at mandamus.org> wrote:
>
>> Harley Peters wrote:
>> get a decent
>> tables and channel tables
>> new channels. The problem
>> the the guide data for
>> sure that the channel
>> other than that, I don’t
>> dvb-s and cable sources
>> qam source. Anyone have

>> Does anyone have an
>> with?
>>>
>>> Someone might have a better idea but if all else
>> fails you can do what i
>>> did.
>>> With your web browser go to the labs.zap2it.com
>> site and then go to the
>>> page that list your qam channels. Then view the
>> source of that page. You
>>> should see some where in the source lines that
>> look like the one below.
>>> <LABEL FOR="000001563200000000400"><TD>4</TD>
>>>
>>> The corponding station letters should be in a line
>> below that.
>>> Use the label number minus the leading zeros and
>> only the next 5 digits.
>>> You can then enter these in manually in
>> mythtv-setup.
>>> Harley
>> At the moment something is seriously wrong with the
>> DataDirect feed, at
>> least for Rogers Digital channels. No matter what I
>> do, I either get 506
>> channels or 1 channel in my digital lineup when
>> mythfilldatabase runs. I
>> can modify the lineup but it does not 'stick'. The
>> plain analog-only
>> channels is unaffected. The digital one is messed
>> badly.
>>
>> I have now realized that if I delete channels in
>> mythtv-setup's channel
>> editor then mythfilldatabase does not download that
>> information. But at
>> the moment that is still 305 channels and.... it
>> takes a while...
>>
>> Anyone have any ideas what is happening?
>>
>> Geoff
>
> I've seen this running SVN for ATSC listings from
> DataDirect (ATSC in Fremont, California).  However,
> I've only seen this when trying to populate the
> channel list while running mythtv-setup (I can't say
> that it doesn't happen elsewhere - I haven't really
> had a system running for any great duration of time.)
>
> I'm not really sure why it happens, but I noticed that
> it started happening after SVN revision 9626 where
> mythfilldatabase will no longer insert DVB/ATSC/QAM
> channels if the channel number isn't already in the
> database.
>
> Also, as a (probably unintended) consequence of this
> change, if you forget to scan for ATSC channels (using
> the scanner in mythtv-setup), then after running
> mythfilldatabase, all channels in the DataDirect
> lineup are enabled (including analog), and you have to
> go into labs.zap2it.com and prune your channel list
> again.
>
> Through trial and error, and many MySQL commands to
> [...]

Well I am running a SVn in the earl 98xx range, and what you describe
fits my results to a T. Unfortunately, I have no cable at the office,
nor DSL at home, so I cannot do a scan here. So mythfill downloaded the
program data for the entire 506 channel universe!

I have since purged down the channel list. It was actually easier to do
it in mysql than in mythtv-setup.

Geoff