[mythtv-users] TFW: safe_write(): funky usleep

andrew matthews exstatica at gmail.com
Mon May 1 18:24:57 UTC 2006

On 5/1/06, Ray Lischner <linux at tempest-sw.com> wrote:
> On Monday 01 May 2006 12:56 pm, andrew matthews wrote:
>
> > My Backend is crashing every 20 minutes or so only when recording.
> > This is the tail of the last error message i'm getting.
> >
> > 2006-05-01 09:43:28.624 MainServer::HandleAnnounce Monitor
> > 2006-05-01 09:43:28.626 adding: svn.mednor.net as a client (events: 0)
> > 2006-05-01 09:48:48.314 TFW: safe_write(): funky usleep
>
> I wish I could help, but I have no idea what causes this. It first arose
> for me when I switched the /myth/tv store from NFS to SMB. The slave
> backend would crash with this error when recording a show. (When using
> NFS, the slave was plagued with IOBOUND errors, which were worse than
> the funky usleep errors.)
>
> I eventually "solved" the problem by moving the physical drive from the
> master backend to the slave backend that holds the tuners, so I no
> longer need to use any network file system when recording.
> --
> Ray Lischner

I actually figured it out. I rand mythtvbackend in foreground mode and
waited for it to die. It gave me file limit exceeded. Which has to do
with the ulimit. Apprently it got reset to a number insted of
unlimited.

Once i changed ulimit -f unlimited  it has fixed it.

After looking through source i determined that the funky usleep error
has to do with no disk space, but if the file size limit is reached
then it will hit that "limit"

Thanks.

Andrew