[mythtv-users] OT: Upgrade to Mysql 5.0

Douglas Wagner douglasw0 at gmail.com
Mon May 1 18:50:10 UTC 2006

You've got 3 options:

1) Remove MySQL 4.1 (i'm guessing you're on a RedHat distribution given the
file places, could be wrong).  You can use RPM directly to try to uninstall
MySQL and all it's dependent packages or you can try going into xwindows and
to the package manager there (add-remove programs if you're in a recent
version of gnome) and remove MySQL from there.

2) Try Upgrading MySQL 4.1 to 5.X in place using RPM, Yum, etc. I don't have
a whole lot of experience here, but technically if you have all the packages
you need in the same directory when you do the upgrade the RPM system SHOULD
be able to figure out a way around it's dependencies to get everything
installed.  With some packages (don't know about MySQL) typically you're
reduced to upgrading half your operating system to get it to work in this
way.  You might try to simply yum install the MySQL5 package and see what
happens, who knows, this might be the easiest.

3) Work "around" the currently installed MySQL.  Doing this requires you to
do a few things:

* use chkconfig to remove mysqld from the boot up process (optional, see
steps at end for modifying mysqld to start your new MySQL istallation at
boot, if you wish to do so then don't do this.)
* Install the New MySQL version into a new place (I like /opt as it contains
all the packages you've upgraded and /usr/local just gets CROUDED with
crap), using either binaries or a code distribution (i've used both, both
arn't too terribly difficult to put in place).
* **IMPORTANT** add </installdirectory/bin> (e.g. /opt/mysql5/bin) to your
PATH BEFORE any of the standard binaries paths (/usr/bin, /bin, /sbin,
/usr/sbin, etc.)
* Modify your mysqld file in /etc/init.d (or whatever bootup file you're
using to start safe_mysqld) to point to the new safe_mysqld binary.

What all of this should do is to put the MySQL 5 installation AHEAD of the
MySQL 4.1 installation.  Any time you run a MySQL command (mysql,
mysqladmin, safe_mysqld, etc.) it should pick up the 5.x versions BEFORE the
4.x versions due to your path setting.

Can't tell you how many times i've done this on RedHat/Fedora/Mandrake/etc.
systems that use package managers.  It's just easier to work around the
package managers than to try to work with them...when removing Samba starts
complaining about dependencies in the base X Windows libraries, it's time
you decide either to install the new version of Fedora to upgrade your samba
(which is stupid) or start figuring out how you can "obsolete" the RPMs that
were previously installed, the above is the trick to doing so.  Typically I
have an installation rule:  If i'm not interested in updateing the package
when the operating system maintainer (redhat, mandrake, debian, etc.)
decides it should be updated, or if I feel i'll want to update it more
frequently than the os maintainer (cause we all know debian and redhat do
SUCH a good job of keeping their systems up to date with the most recent set
of code...) I simply DO NOT install that package during system installation
time, and I use tar.gz's or binary distributions to keep the system up to
date on my schedule.

GL to you, working with the package managers of Linux are much harder than
you'd think it would be.

--Douglas Wagner