[mythtv-users] MonoChrome (B+W) Recordings

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon May 1 19:08:04 UTC 2006

It occurs to me that I record a lot of Black-and-White programs, and
that they are recorded as color video, thus wasting a lot of space.

I figure that to actually record the programs as B+W would require
changes to the drivers, if not the firmware, of the PVR cards, and is
probably not practical.

But transcoding them after the fact to eliminate unneeded chroma
information might be possible.

Does anyone know of a way to transcode an mpeg-2 file to a pure B+W
one? Seems like a lot of space could be saved.

Brian Wood
beww at beww.org