[mythtv-users] OT: Upgrade to Mysql 5.0

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon May 1 19:54:25 UTC 2006

Thanks for the reply. You think like I do: figure out how it SHOULD
work, and then deduce the route to get there!
Douglas Wagner wrote:
> You've got 3 options:
>
> 1) Remove MySQL 4.1 (i'm guessing you're on a RedHat distribution given
> the file places, could be wrong).  You can use RPM directly to try to
> uninstall MySQL and all it's dependent packages or you can try going
> into xwindows and to the package manager there (add-remove programs if
> you're in a recent version of gnome) and remove MySQL from there.

Problem with this route, is that it screams the parts of mysql are
needed by the other packages: that is, the dependencies go both ways.

> 2) Try Upgrading MySQL 4.1 to 5.X in place using RPM, Yum, etc. I don't
> have a whole lot of experience here, but technically if you have all the
> packages you need in the same directory when you do the upgrade the RPM
> system SHOULD be able to figure out a way around it's dependencies to
> get everything installed.  With some packages (don't know about MySQL)
> typically you're reduced to upgrading half your operating system to get
> it to work in this way.  You might try to simply yum install the MySQL5
> package and see what happens, who knows, this might be the easiest.

Unfortunately mysql is not, to my knowledge, available through yum. I
got the upgrade to work however, by using 'rpm --force -U MySQL'.

I think that is failed previously because I put the --force -after- the
-U switch.

> 3) Work "around" the currently installed MySQL.  Doing this requires you
> to do a few things:
>
> * use chkconfig to remove mysqld from the boot up process (optional, see
> steps at end for modifying mysqld to start your new MySQL istallation at
> boot, if you wish to do so then don't do this.)
> * Install the New MySQL version into a new place (I like /opt as it
> contains all the packages you've upgraded and /usr/local just gets
> CROUDED with crap), using either binaries or a code distribution (i've
> used both, both arn't too terribly difficult to put in place).

This route can get really messy. If I went that way, I would find the
old versions and copy the new ones into the same spots.

What is really weird about this is that the RPM's are from mysql.com and
they install the program in a completely different manner than the
Install procedure set out in the tar.

Geoff