[mythtv-users] optical SPDIF output on nforce4 mobo: possible?

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Mon May 1 20:51:05 UTC 2006

I am about to try this on my ASUS mobo (if I actually get it working,
I'll post exactly which mobo I've got, but I'm not at home right now to
read the package :-)

According to "alsamixer", this board has:

Card:IntelICH5
Chip: Realtek ALC850 rev 0

So I am going to try following the directions at:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Asoundrc_alc850

which looks like it applies to the exact chip I have.

The question I have is, where does the name "nforce" come from? This
page appears to imply that "nforce" is the same as the ALC850, but how
do I know if I've got "nforce", "nforce2", or "nforce4", or something
else altogether?

--Greg