[mythtv-users] optical SPDIF output on nforce4 mobo: Success (of a sort)

Adam Hirsch mythtv at quakerporn.com
Tue May 2 02:41:21 UTC 2006

Greg Woods (greg at gregandeva.net) wrote:

> So it's back to square one and trying a different approach.

Well, for what it's worth, I've got my optical port working, more or less.
I run alsamixer, set

  Item: IEC958

 to [PCM]

and

 Item: IEC958 Playback AC97-SPSA

 to 0 (it looks like a volume meter, but apparently is not, per this page:

  http://alsa.opensrc.org/Realtek+ALC950

The perplexing thing is, despite my SPDIF interface being on hw0,2

##  mwamizi% aplay -l
##  **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
##  card 0: CK804 [NVidia CK804], device 0: Intel ICH [NVidia CK804]
##    Subdevices: 1/1
##    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
##  card 0: CK804 [NVidia CK804], device 2: Intel ICH - IEC958 [NVidia CK804 - IEC958]
##    Subdevices: 1/1
##    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

The only way I was able to get sound out of the command line or MythTV was
to set the output to mixed-analog.  I can't fathom it.

Adam

--
 Few of our ancestors were perfect ladies and gentlemen;
 the majority, in fact, weren't even mammals.              <adam at baz.org>