[mythtv-users] Legality of selling MythTV and its Components?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue May 2 19:49:13 UTC 2006

On May 2, 2006, at 1:35 PM, Allan Wilson wrote:

> This is just my two cents but I know a lot of people with a lot of
> money that are missing out on some of the great features that Myth
> has because they are not savvy computer users. I think if you made
> them aware of the potential pitfalls and what things they would
> have to do to make the system work as expected and they understood
> those risks then you would be performing a great service. It is a
> free country, at least in the states, and they can choose not to
> pay for the system if the benefits don't outweigh the risks.

"Free Country" ???

Am I free to play DVDs that I have lawfully purchased on my Linux
system ?

Am I free to copy my legally-purchased VHS movies to DVD disks ?

Am I free to make backup copies of my DVDs to protect myself in case
the kids eat them ?

Am I free to join a Union and have it bargain a pension for me which
can't be "revoked" by the government ?

Am I free to purchase medical drugs from the cheapest supplier ?

Am I free to borrow a book from the library and not have the
government know what I read ?

Am I free to telephone Iran and not have the conversation monitored ?

I admit that other places might be worse, but I could die from all
this "freedom".