[mythtv-users] What Haupage PVR-x50 to get?

NINjak ninjak at ss-nl.com
Tue May 2 22:04:15 UTC 2006

Wander Winkelhorst wrote:

>     I'm thinking about getting a PVR 500 with 2 tuners.
>

> I HAVE a PVR500 and it's very nice, I'd recommend it to anyone
> (allthough there are a lot of variations of "PVR500") I wish I had
> another PCI slot so I could add an extra tuner (2 just isn't enough
> sometimes)
>
> - If I take an Haupage PVR-x50 card, and leave the SAA7134 card for what
> it is, wich one should I get ?
>
> Anyone of the PVR[1|2|5][0|5]0 cards will do very nicely, it's a
> matter of personal prefferrence which version to get, some have
> radio's, some don't, some have dual tuners, some don't, some have a
> remote included, some don't.
>
> The only card I won't recommend is the PVR350, driver support is
> tricky with that one.
>
>> and do the MCE versions work correctly with linux ?
> Yes they do, it's just a marketing label that Hauppage slapped onto
> their products (and the packaging is a bit different) But in basis,
> the video hardware is the same.
>
> BTW: I'm intrested in how the DVB-S cards work in Linux and the
> Netherlands, because I understand that you need a CAM module? Are
> there any PCI cards that support those?
>
> Regards,
> Wander (yes, also from the Netherlands)

You only need a cam if you want to see something else then the FTA
channels! I think you want see the dutch channels so you need a cam
where the smartcard from Canal Digitaal fits in. You can also buy a cam
wich can do some nice things for you with some "software".

All you "need" to buy is a DVB-S card with an CI (common interface)
slot, there are some brands who has them, buy an cam and place your CD
smartcard (www.canaldigitaal.nl) in it. Like i said earlier there are
more cams and some can do some nice things for you but if you only want
teh smartcard to work you can buy the "standaard" one they are using.

Wich DVB-S card is the best to buy well i don't know that (yet)

Cya,

NINjak